Studio Something Wicked Games, founded by alumni from Bethesda Game Studios and Obsidian Entertainment, has published new concept art for its ambitious role-playing game Wyrdsong.
The concept art was posted in an update to the studio’s official development progress blog.
The authors said that since the announcement, the team has grown by about four times and now exceeds 30 specialists (among them are the developers of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Cyberpunk 2077, God of War and Uncharted). The main work on the story has already been completed, three factions and their own quest tool are ready. Now the team is working on a vertical cut, which will demonstrate the visual side and the general concept, as well as the gameplay prototype.
Wyrdsong was announced in August 2022 at gamescom Opening Night Live. The developers describe it as a AAA-class occult fantasy open-world RPG that will expand and redefine the genre. It is known that players will be transported to an alternative medieval Portugal and during the course of the adventure “doubt their reality and decisions made”. Promised a deep dialogue system and freedom of role-playing. The project is created on Unreal Engine 5.
Something Wicked Games was founded by Jeff Gardiner, Charles Staples and Ekram Rashid. Gardiner co-produced The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4, and led the development of Fallout 76 until 2021. Staples is Fallout: New Vegas and Alpha Protocol designer, South Park: The Stick of Truth lead level designer, and design — Director of The Outer Worlds. Rashid worked on The Elder Scrolls: Blades as a technical director.
The team includes other veterans of Bethesda Game Studios and Obsidian Entertainment, as well as people from BioWare and other well-known companies:
- Jeremy Bryant — Fallout 4, Fallout 76 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim animator;
- Charles Kim — Character Artist for Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim;
- Aki Hooper — Fallout: New Vegas designer, EverQuest and EverQuest II game designer;
- Dominic Lavallee (Dominic Lavalli) — programmer Dragon Age: Inquisition;
- Eric Fenstermaker — Designer for Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, Lead Writer for South Park: The Stick of Truth, Narrative Designer for Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire;
- Marc Salha is Dead by Daylight Artistic Director and Dead Space 3 Environment Artist.
The release date and platform for Wyrdsong remain uncertain, but the studio has already found a publisher: Chinese NetEase Games, which provided the team with initial funding of $13.2 million.
If you notice an error, select it with the mouse and press CTRL + ENTER.